Saturday, November 19

The Season of Giving: Need Your Help!

Over the past few Christmas seasons, Matt and I have worked hard to remind the boys that the Christmas season is a time to GIVE and focus on FAMILY, LOVE and CHRIST.  Not the "getting" and not Santa.

We do this in several ways.  We participate in Operation Christmas Child, we donate our outgrown coats and clothes, we adopt a family or child off a Christmas Tree, we make donations to local food banks and we donate toys the boys don't need anymore.

In addition to those activities, we have our 25 days of Christmas advent countdown.  In the past these activities have been more fun things - less giving oriented.  This year, I want to tie in a few more activities that inspire the giving atmosphere.  But I'm stumped!  I can't come up with more than 5 or 6 that I have. :/

Can you help?  What are some things you do? Or some ideas you have that would be appropriate for a 4 year old and an 8 year old?  (I'm not willing to take them to a soup kitchen just yet.)  Activities could take as little as 5 minutes and as long as an hour or two.  I'm open to just about anything!! 

2 comments:

Momof3boysAZ said...

Ring a salvation army bell, find a gift wrapping station, call a food bank and ask to help pack or hand out boxes. Take home baked treats to the elderly, visit a nursing home.....This year we are doing a Jesse tree but I plan on incorporating some of the above ideas as well. We are doing Wrangler Wishes - wrangler is our highschool mascot - it's the same as a giving tree and OCC as well Hope that helps

The D'Alessandro Family said...

The nursing home idea is what I was thinking as well. Also, do you have a children's hospital around you? Taking something as little as coloring books and crayons could be fun. Regardless, I'm so jealous of all the great "stuff" you guys do as a family and are instilling in your children. I always want to do something and then it never happens and I really wish we would just make the time. You're such a good Mommy ;)