Sunday, May 22

Maxwell. Yep. Again

I swear...this child!  He is giving me grey hairs already.

Last weekend, my inlaws had the boys for the weekend and went to "Cottage Cleanup", a Kobylak Family event where everyone gathers to prep the family cottage for the summer activities.  While there, the boys went for a ride on the golf cart with their cousin, Spencer.  Somehow, while the cart was stopped, Maxwell slipped and fell off onto his right side.  Apparently he didn't cry much and in fact fell asleep quickly.

My inlaws called me after a bit and told me they were taking Max to the ER.  He had woken from his little nap and was having trouble moving his arm.  It wasn't long before I was on the road too...dreading what I would find when I arrived at the ER in Ohio.

After some xrays, the doctors determined he had a broken clavicle on his right side.  Other than that and a few bumps and scrapes, he seemed fine.  We went back to my inlaws for the night where he rested and we iced this newest wound.  He even slept fairly well that night.  Sunday was pretty low key around here as I made accommodations and plans for Maxwell for the week. Monday we went to the specialist who determined this was a "boyhood injury" and didn't warrant any further action.  Yep.  I was shocked.  And so are most people, including other doctors, who see the xray.

Tuesday was weird though.  Maxwell seemed to be "off".  He'd fall asleep at a moments notice.  He had a headache most of the day.  He even vomited once.  I took him to the pediatrician and she said it was the flu.  But by Thursday, it didn't seem to be the flu.  It was more than that.  I ended up taking him to another ER on Thursday evening and the specialist there determined that he probably had a concussion or a very very minor brain bleed from the fall.  Whether he hit his head or just rattled his brain during the fall, we'll never know. 

He had some weird changes in behavior for a few days there, but today, Sunday, he seems to be pretty much back to "normal" Maxwell behaviors.  I'm still keeping a close eye on him, but he escapes me more often than not.  He is lifting his arm above his head now and I have to remind him that it still hurts sometimes.  He carries it in a sling position when it's really bothering him, but he never says anything or even slows down. 

I can only *imagine* what the next 14 years have in store for me with this little man as my son. 

No comments: