Wednesday, August 25

School Lunches: Change it up, Keep it healthy

So the fun part of what to put our lunch in has been settled, but that still leaves me with the same menu as last year in a new box. Eventually, that'll get boring too. I knew I needed to devise some way to make lunch exciting and different. I searched the internet and a few books trying to find new ways to make lunch foods interesting.

I found a list somewhere (sorry, I can't remember where) that had a list of all the different types of bread options, filler options and condiment options to make a different sandwich each day. I created my own list, called it the "Sandwich Construction" Chart and printed it up. I have it on the fridge for easy reference. I plan to use it to make sandwiches when I'm in a rush. Or for those times I feel like I've made PB&J four days that week. My chart is below. For example; I might choose to put peanut butter and apples on a pita pocket. OR maybe pizza sauce, olives and pepperoni on an English muffin. Feel free to copy the chart, paste it to a new document, customize it to be your own and then print it for YOUR fridge!

BREADS
Bagel
Homemade flat bread
Baguette
Bread sticks
Crackers
English muffins
Soft tortillas
Focaccia
Lavash bread
Pita bread
Rice cakes
Rolls
Traditional sandwich bread

SPREADS & CONDIMENTS
Almond butter
Apple butter
Apple Slices
Avocado (mashed)
Banana (mashed)
Brie Cheese
Cashew butter
Cream cheese (1/3 less fat)
Honey
Hummus
Jam (spreadable fruits)
Ketchup
Mayo
Mustard
Peanut butter
Pizza sauce
Pumpkin butter

FILLINGS
Bacon
Carrots (shredded)
Cheese
Chicken (shredded, sliced, leftover)
Chicken salad
Egg salad
Hard boiled egg
Hot dog (all beef, nitrate free)
Lettuce
Cucumbers
Olives
Sprouts
Turkey
Pepperoni
Bacon

Another thing I struggled with last year was not repeating the same 4-5 fruits and vegetables. So I added that to my list as well. I'm, again, hopeful that we can avoid eating the same foods over and over.

Fruits
Apples
Pears
Bananas
Blueberries
Cranberries
Grapes
Mango
Raisinis
Melon
Oranges
Plums
Raspberries
Strawberries
Clementine

Vegetables
Pepper strips
Broccoli
Carrots
Cauliflower
Celery
Cucumbers
Green beans
Salad/lettuce
Snap peas
Sweet potatoes
Zucchini

And who are we kidding if we think we're going to do a healthy lunch every day? I always put a special treat into my kids' lunch. Sometimes it's a Hershey Miniature. Sometimes it's something less "junk" like but it still seems like a great treat. So I added to my list "smarter treats" and "other stuff" that didn't seem to fit into any category.

Smarter Treats
Applesauce
Nuts
Raisins
Chips with salsa
Rice pudding
Fruit bars
Homemade cookies - add flax seed or ground wheat germ give them an added boost
Popcorn
Pretzels
Trail mix
Yogurt - can top with mini marshmallows, sprinkles or chocolate chips for extra special treat
Babybel Cheese (fun to eat!)
Crunchy Bagel Chips

Other
Rice
Pasta
Oatmeal in a thermos
Goldfish type crackers
Homemade pizza
Meat roll up with laughing cow spread & avocado
Mini bagel with neufchatel cheese (1/3 less fat cream cheese)
Hard boiled egg
Pita & hummus
Stuff pita with hummus and shredded carrots


I'm certain that I won't be able to make every lunch as healthy and wonderful as I'd like to. I'm bound to have a crazy night or morning where I can't get it done and he'll get a leftover slice of pizza. But with my lists on the fridge, I can have options already draw up. Ideas already in the flowing mode...I just have to bring them together.

You can get my entire document in it's complete and slightly disorganized form HERE.

Need more inspiration? Check out all these great links! You're bound to find SOMETHING that inspires you when you're stumped.

Yummy Lunch Ideas
Nutritious Lunch Ideas (Laptop Style Lunchboxes)
Two Weeks of Menu Ideas (MSNBC.com)
The Family Dish (mostly dinner ideas, but some could carry over to lunches)
Back-to-School Cooking (epicurious.com)
Laptop Lunches (Laptop Style Lunchboxes, but still great ideas)
What's for lunch at our house (a mom's blog of bento style lunches)
How to Pack a Kids' Lunch Without a Sandwich (eHow.com)
iLunchbox.com (more grown-up lunches)
Super Healthy Kids (another great blog! GREAT ideas & information!)
Weelicious (We are SO trying her Eggplant Parmesan Sticks! They looks like French Toast Sticks!)
Cooking with My Kid (These ideas are realistic and fun)


On Friday, I'll be posting about the little things that us "lunch makers" can do to make lunchtime a bright spot in our little sunshines' day, as well as a few other random tips to make your student's lunch safe.






No comments: