Tuesday, September 2

We survived!

It was a bit concerning, but we managed to pull through Payton's first day of kindergarten without any tears or drama.

We woke, we ate, we dressed, we made and packed lunch (I did remember!) and we took pictures. My biggest concerns I realized were just mine. Not for him. They were about parking and drop off and pick up and lunch. All of which were issues for me, not him. He was going to be just fine.

We got to school, got in line up and waited to go in. He did fine. He gave me a hug and kiss and said goodbye and was off. There were a lot of moms crying outside the school, but all-in-all, it went smoothly for everyone.

I met Christine for breakfast at Panera, went to the gym and finished "first day of school cupcakes" for Payton.

Around 3:15, all hell broke loose at the school. The system they had worked out for pickup, didn't work. The parking was bad. But, we all knew that going in. Hopefully it will get better. But getting our kids from our teacher...that was BAD! Teachers were surrounded by the kids and parents surrounded the kids. I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow there are more rules and regulations set up. It was REALLY bad. I'm still hoping no one got lost in the shuffle.

Talking to Payton, his favorite parts were eating snack, eating lunch and "looking for the gingerbread man", a game Mrs. McCoy had to help them learn their way around school. He said he missed me a lot, but that the note I left in his lunch bag helped a lot. He's so sweet! And he wrote me a note back "I Love Mom" on an extra napkin he had in his bag.

He said he wants to go back tomorrow, and I guess that's really the most important part, right?


Gene said...

It's still so hard to believe that he's in school !!! Just seeing him in his uniform reminds me of Matt and his brothers days in uniforms. I am glad things went well, and it was fun to talk to him tonight and hear all about his day. Tell him I will show him pics of his daddy in his uniform when he comes next. Love Mom K.

Jen said...

Glad it went well, other than the pick up problems. I am sure that will change as well. Sounds like a great first day for him!

Lauren said...

Glad your camera works!! And glad the day went super!! He's such a little man now!! :)

Danielle a.k.a Yellie said...

I'm so incredibly glad that his first day went so well! Hopefully they'll get all the "bugs" worked out with parking and pick-up, but other than that, everything sounds like it's going to be great! Yay!

Marissa said...

Yay Payton, I'm so proud of you!!

The parking/release of kids will get better - it has to.