Monday, June 22

Detroit RiverDays


Yesterday, for Father's Day, Matt and I took the kids to Detroit for a festival. We moved to Michigan five years ago and we've never been down to Detroit RiverDays. We've been to Detroit for sports games, and a few theater shows and such, but never for a festival. We were pleasantly surprised. The Tall Ships were there, which is something we've never seen before.



Payton loved it, despite his skinned knee.

His favorite parts were playing in the water fountains...





and seeing how close we live to Canada. He kept calling it China. So cute.


Maxwell said his favorite parts were the dog we met named "Max" and seeing the "really big boats". Both of those are typical Max.


Matt and I enjoyed being on the river and being together as a family. It was not a planned adventure and only happened because Matt's work let him go early yesterday. Other than the price of some of the activities, there was no cost. We stuck to the free stuff and really enjoyed ourselves and the little family.



We truly do live in a beautiful and underestimated area. It's a shame people, including me, don't see what Detroit has to offer. Now that we've been, I think we'll be more inclined to head down for events.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elissa, first of all, you have to tell Payton that Audrey, who lives in "China," says Hello! And I THOUGHT I could see him across the river!

Your pictures were fantastic! I really, really love that last one! And you are right - it is amazing what we discover when we assume the role of tourist in our home cities!
Thanks for sharing!

Lauren said...

I agree! Every time we go downtown I always say it's not as bad as people say it is. I've lived here my whole life and yet gone down for River day. Great phtos!

Anonymous said...

Glad you ended up having such a GREAT fathers day!!!!! Love you all Mom K

Danielle said...

What great pictures! I'm so glad you guys were able to have an unexpected family outing for Father's Day and that it turned out to be such an awesome day for all of you!

Emma said...

Glad you got to celebrate on Sunday! Looks like it was a good day. :)